Darjeeling District Court
Chairman/MD/CEO : Shri Uttam Kumar Shaw
Head Office : Darjeeling. Kutchury Compound (Near D.M. Office,Darjeeling) District- Darjeeling, Pin- 734101
- Sub Industry : District Court
- Sector : Judicial
- Type : Govt
ProfileThe name of Darjeeling came from the Tibetan Words Dorje-ling i.e., Dorje means, Thunderbolt and ling means Land, that means Land of Thunderbolt. In 1835 was annexed by the East India Co , Prior to that , Darjeeling formed a part of Sikkim and for a brief period of Nepal.
Previously Darjeeling formed a part of dominions of the Raja of Sikkim, who has been engaged in an unsuccessful warfare against Gorkhas. From 1780 the Gorkhas made several attempts to capture the entire region of Darjeeling. By the beginning of 19th , Century , they has overrun Sikkim as far eastward as the Teesta River and has conquered and annexed the Terai. In the mean time, the British were engaged in preventing the Gorkhas from overrunning the whole of the northern frontier . The Anglo-Nepal was broke out in 1814,Which resulted in the defeat of the Gorkhas and subsequently to the Sugauli Treaty in 1815. According to treaty , Nepal had to cede all those territories which the Gorkhas and annexed from the Raja of Sikkim to the British East India Co. Later in 1817, through the Treaty of Titalia, the British East India Company reinstated the Raja of Sikkim (who was driven out), restored all the tracts of land between the Meechi River on the west and teesta River to the Raja of Sikkim and guaranteed his sovereignty. The Controversy did not end there. Later, in 1835, the hill of Darjeeling an enclave of 138 sq, miles was gifted to East India Company. In 1864, the treaty of Sinchula was executed in which the Bhutan Dooars with passes leading into the hills of Kalimpong were ceded to the British. The Darjeeling District can be said to have assumed its present shape in 1866 is 1234 sq. miles.